Starting in mid-September 2015, I will be living and working in Australia for one year – or at least that’s the plan right now. Based in Melbourne, I hope to have the chance to explore and experience Australian life and culture across the entire country during my year there.
If you have any suggestions or additions for my list, please let me know!
My Aussie Bucket List
Attend a music festival – Spendour in the Grass with Jenny!
– Go surfing – never happened.. Oops, maybe next time!
See a wombat & a koala – did it but without any pictures to prove it!
Attend a performance at the Sydney Opera House – saw Carmen in July with friends.
Learn the basic geography of Australia
Attend an AFL match – attended a pre-season match between the Sydney Swans and the Carlton Blues at the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne on March 11.
Go hiking & camping at a national park – visited Wilson’s Prom in southern Victoria with friends in November
Attend The Melbourne Cup – it was like the Kentucky Derby on steroids…
– Visit each of the six states and three territories in Australia – definitely didn’t happen, but I got to explore the east coast with my friend Jenny when she came to travel for the month of July.
Go on – at least one – Yarra Valley wine tour
– Read 10 Australian ‘classics’
Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
- Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner
- We of the Never-Never by Aenaes Gunn
- My Brother Jack by George Johnston
The Harp in the South by Ruth Park
- For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
- The Shiralee by D’Arcy Niland
Kangaroo by D.H. Lawrence The True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
Explore the Great Ocean Road between Melbourne and Warrnambool in Victoria – Jennifer and I will never forget this adventure…ha! Check out my Great Ocean Road post.
– Visit Uluru, or Ayers Rock, in Red Centre Desert
– See the little penguins on Phillip Island in Victoria
Visit the Blue Mountains in New South Wales
Do you have any suggestions for me during my time in Australia? Drop me a line.
Last updated September 19, 2016.